- [Kyoto Station] Kyotofu Fujino
- [Kiyomizu] Kiyomizu Junsei Okabeya
- [Arashiyama] Sagatōfuine
Historically, Kyoto’s geographical position away from the sea made it difficult for the area to obtain fresh seafood. As a result, cooking skills were highly valued in the region. Together with Osaka, the region flourished as a center for Japanese food culture. Originally based off Chinese cuisine and influenced by Western Cuisine thereafter, food culture in Kyoto developed over time into something distinct. One of its specialties is the tofu cuisine. However, traditional cuisine in Kyoto is often quite expensive. For those who are running on a budget but would like to try some tofu in Kyoto, here are three good tofu restaurants in three different popular areas that serve lunch menus for less than ¥3000.
[Kyoto Station] Kyotofu Fujino (京豆冨不二乃)Located conveniently in the Isetan building at JR Kyoto station, this restaurant serves a range of course that costs less than ¥3000 for lunch and around ¥4000 for dinners. It is also one of the only restaurants around that serves halal cuisine. However, reservation is required for halal requests. For more information, check out their website, available in English.
- Open: 11:00-22:00, Last order at 21:15 (*Changes occasionally without prior notice)
- Address: 11th Floor Isetan, JR Kyoto Station, Shimogyo, Kyoto
- TEL: 075-352-5401
- URL: http://www.kyotofu.co.jp/en/
- Access: Nearest station JR Kyoto station
[Kiyomizu] Kiyomizu Junsei Okabeya (清水順正おかべ家)This restaurant can be found along the long stretch of slope in front of the famous Kiyomizu temple. Menu changes every season and will always include one course menu that is usually less than ¥3000. The course will include the tofu cuisine, some appetisers, steamed food, a number of side dishes, one main and usually a small portion of dessert. It may serve as a good rest place on your way down from experiencing the scenic bird’s eye view of Kyoto at the summit of Kiyomizu temple.
- Open: 10:30-17:00, Last order at 15:00 (*Ends later depending on seasons)
- Address: Kiyomizu Temple 2-chome, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan 605-0862
- TEL: 075-541-7111
- URL: http://www.okabeya.com/index.html
- Access: Nearest station Kiyomizu Gojo (Keihan Line), or City Bus 206 Gojo Slope 8-minute walk
[Arashiyama] Sagatōfuine (嵯峨とうふ稲)Sagatōfuine is located at Arashiyama, home to the beautiful bamboo forests of Kyoto. There are quite a number of famous tofu restaurants around Arashiyama but most of them cost more than ¥3000. This place offers the traditional tofu cuisine at a very affordable price starting from simple set meals from ¥1620 onwards (menu available on their webpage). If it is your first time trying it out and you do not want to spend so much on it, this is a good place to get a large variety at a low price.
- Open: 11:00-18:00
- Address: 19 Sagatenryuji Tsukurimichicho Ukyo-ku Kyoto Kyoto
- TEL: 075-882-5809
- URL: http://www.kyo-ine.com/en/
- Access: [By Train] 8 minute walk from JR Saga-Arashiyama station, 1 minute walk from Keifuku Electric Railroad Arashiyama station, 15 minute walk from Hankyu Arashiyama station. [By Bus] 1 minute walk from City bus Tenryuji-Mae Bus stop, 1 minute walk from Kyoto bus Keifuku-Arashiyama bus stop, approx. 3 minute walk from City bu/Kyoto bus Arashiyama bus stop.