Do you know which famous spots in Japan the most tourists go and visit?
We sometimes bumped into tourists in unexpected places.
The number of tourists from all over the world who come to Japan is increasing every year. They seem to like to go places that sometimes we as Japanese people hard to understand why. So, this time I will introduce the tourist spots in Japan which reputation is growing up lately. By reading this article, you might realize the part of Japan that you haven’t even seen or known yet.
- 1 1.Goutokuji-Temple
- 2 2.KAWAII MONSTER CAFÉ
- 3 3. Arakurayama Sengen Prak
- 4 4. Izakaya Kayabuki
- 5 5. Art Complex 1928
- 6 6. Shinyokohama Ramen Museum
- 7 7. Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama
- 8 8. Hushimiinari Shrine
- 9 9. Itsukushima Shrine
- 10 10. Samurai Kembu Theater
- 11 11. Kinkakuji Temple
- 12 12. Nara Park
- 13 13. Historic Village/ Shirakawagou Gassyozukuri Syu-raku
- 14 14. Jigokutani-Yaen Park
- 15 15. Kiyomizudera Temple
- 16 16. Shinjyuku Golden Town
- 17 17. Hakone Cyoukoku no Mori Museum
Goutokuji-Temple is located in Setagaya, Tokyo. This temple is famous for seeing about 2000 Manekineko at the same time and knowing many people from all over the world visit to see them. Manekineko, which is Japanese lucky charm, is slowly booming as a “LuckyCat” for Non-Japanese lately. Goutokuji-temple is known as the birthplace of Manekineko. People believe Manekineko in Goutokuji-temple can make people’s wishes come true and take it back to the temple after that you would get more grace of God.
Inside the precincts of temple, there are full of overcrowding with Manekineko that is the sign of most people’s wish came true. The sight makes people surprise not only tourists from other countries but also Japanese people.
- ・Name：Goutokuji Temple
- ・Address：2-24-7 Goutokuji Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan
- ・Access：10 min walk from Odakyu Goutokuji Station or 5 min walk from Miyanozaka Station (Tokyu Setagaya line)
- ・Business hour ：9:00am～4:30pm
- ・Open everyday
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.rurubu.com/sight/detail.aspx?BookID=B1501600
2.KAWAII MONSTER CAFÉ
「KAWAII MONSTER CAFE」 is the café produced by Mr. Sebaschan Masuda. Mr. Sebaschan Masuda is an art director of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu who disseminates Japanese “KAWAII” culture to the world. KAWAII MONSTER CAFE is located in Harajyuku where the center of the fashion and it is getting popular to Non-Japanese tourists because the café has its worldview: POP and CUTE.
The No.1 famous menu is the “Colorful Rainbow Pasta” in this café. You might think that “Can we eat it for real?!” but this is very popular for young people and tourists too.
- ・Name：KAWAII MONSTER CAFE
- ・Adress： YM Square 4th floor 4-31-10 Jingu-mae Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
- ・Access： a min walk from the No.5 exit of Meijijingu-mae Station (Chiyoda line)
- ・Business Hour：Lunch 11:30am～4:30pm、Dinner 6:00pm～10:30pm
- ・Open everyday
- ・ Charge 500 yen per each as an entrance fee
- ・Official Web URL：http://kawaiimonster.jp/pc/
3. Arakurayama Sengen Prak
Arakurayama Sengen Park is the famous place for tourists where they can take a picture of Five-storied Pagoda with Mt. Fuji. You can see the best view like “This is THE Japan!!!” especially in the season of cherry blossom!!
Mt. Fuji is the famous mountain as a world natural heritage. Five-storied Pagoda is a famous Japanese historical structure. Moreover, this place has been chosen as a 9th place of “21 places every photographer should visit before they die”. This is one of the reasons why people from all over the world visit this beautiful place.
Refer to this site: http://www.chikyudori.com/photo/camera/cerezo-4/
- ・Name： Arakurayama Sengen Park
- ・Adress： North side of the Yoshida Station 3620 Arakura Fujiyoshida-City Yamanashi, Japan
- ・Access： 10min walk from Shimoyoshida Station (Fuji kyuukou line)
- ・Business hour：24/7
- Official Web URL：http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/kankou/spot/p1_4919.html
4. Izakaya KayabukiRefer to this site: http://blog.zaq.ne.jp/krtdep/article/110/
Izakaya “Kabukiya” which located in Utsunomiya-City Tochigi became popular since it’s introduced by TV show in the U.S and Australia as Izakaya that monkey shows hospitality to the guests.
Nowadays, people from all over the world come and visit to this spot. Since it is rare to see monkeys for people from Australia, they always visit this sightseeing spot.
Money serves wet hand towels and beer to the guests, and sometimes he gives a performance as well. You can see him about between 8:00pm and 10:00pm at this Izakaya.
- ・Name：Izakaya Kayabuki
- ・Addess：4688 Miyukihoncho Utsunomiya-City Tochigi, Japan
- ・Access：15min by car from JR Utsunomiya Station
- ・Business hour：6:00pm～0:00am
- ・Close on Tuesday
- ・Official Web URL：http://tabelog.com/tochigi/A0901/A090101/9005905/
5. Art Complex 1928
Art Complex 1928 is a theater inside the 90 years old historical building in Kyoto.
There are world’s leading five performers on stage. Their performance use no language but juggling, pantomime, breakdance, and magic show. All their performance is world class. Additionally, the show directs using latest technology, such as projection mapping, a Shimmery dress, and laser beam. So you will be impressed by this show like you never experienced before.
This spot is made popular by word of mouth in Non-Japanese people’s communities that they enjoy the performance without understanding Japanese language.
- ・Name： Art Complex 1928
- ・Adress： 1928 Building 3rd floor Kogomachi kado Sanjyou Nakagyou Kyoto-City, Kyoto, Japan
- ・Access：8min walk from No.9 exit of Kawaharacho Station (Hankyu Train)
- ・Business hour：10：00am～7：00pm
- ・Close on Tuesday
- ・Entrance fee: Adult: 4,200～2,700yen, University Students/ Over 60 years old: 3,200～1,700yen、Junior high school to high school Students: 2,200～1,200yen, Under Junior High School Students: free
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.gear.ac/
6. Shinyokohama Ramen Museum
Shinyokohama Ramen Museum is like a Ramen noodle theme park which people can enjoy 9 different kinds of popular Ramen form Hokkaido through Kyushu. Interior decoration represents cityscape of Tokyo in the early Showa era. “Muku” which is popular Ramen shop in Germany is especially popular for Non-Japanese tourists in this museum.
Ramen shops are spreading widely in Europe lately and “Muku” is especially in the spotlight from whole of Europe. It only can taste “Muku” from here except in Germany.
- ・Name：Shinyokohama Ramen Museum
- ・Addess：2-14-21 Shinyokohama Kouhoku Yokohama-City Kanagawa, Japan
- ・Access：5min walk from Shinyokohama Station
- ・Business hour: (Weekdays) 11:00am～11:00pm/ (Sat.Sun.Holiday) 10:30am～11:00pm
- ・Open everyday
- ・Entrance fee：Adult: 310yen、Under 12 years old: 100yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.raumen.co.jp/
7. Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama
There are 80% of the visitors who visit to Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama in Kyoto are Non-Japanese. About 120 wild moneys live inside this park. People can see the view of entire Kyoto city from the feeding space in observatory at top of the mountain.
It is usual to see monkeys for Japanese people but it is very rare for Westerners. Wild monkey doesn’t exist especially in Europe and North America. There are most of wild monkeys at an open public space, so it is possible to take a picture with them!
Here at the park, people go into the cage to feed them unlike usual. This is one of the reasons why this park is getting popular for tourists from all over the world.
- ・Name：Arashiyama Monkey Park Iwatayama
- ・Address：Arashiyamagenrokuzancho 8 Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto-City Kyoto, Japan
- ・Access：5min walk from Hankyuarashiyama Station or Kyohukuarashiyama Station
- ・Business hour： (3/15～10/31) 9:00am～5:00pm (11/1～3/14) 9:00am～4:00pm
- ・Open Everyday
- ・Entrance fee：Adult (from high school ): 550yen Children: 250yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://monkeypark.jp/
8. Hushimiinari ShrineToday, Hushimiinari Shrine is the most popular spot for tourists in Japan.
People who visit Kyoto also seem to visit this shrine too. There are a lot of red Torii, a gateway to a shrine, in a row at the Hushimiinari. This beautiful and mysterious view attracts not only Japanese people but also people from all over the world.
Surprisingly, the number of Torii is over 5,000.
- ・Name：Hushimiinari Shrine
- ・Address： Hukakusa Yabunouchicho 68 Hushimi Kyoto-City Kyoto, Japan
- ・Access：30sec walk from Inari Station (JR Nara Line)
- ・Open 24/7
- ・Official Web URL：http://inari.jp/
9. Itsukushima ShrineItsukushima Shrine in Miyajima, which huge red Torii on the ocean is the symbol, is one of the three great views of Japan. The mysterious view of this symbol is very popular for tourists. The shrine has 1400 years of long histories.
People can enjoy the lighted up version of this shrine at night, so it’s highly recommended to visit here at noon and night.
Please check out the tour that going under the shrine by ship too!
- ・Name：Itsukushima Shrine
- ・Address：Miyajimacho 1-1 Hatsukaichi-City Hiroshima, Japan
- ・Access：10min from Miyajimaguchi by Ferry
- ・Business hour：6:30am～6:00pm (till 5:00pm in Winter)
- ・Entrance fee：Adult: 300yen、High school student: 200yen、Children: 100yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.miyajima-wch.jp/jp/itsukushima/
10. Samurai Kembu Theater
Samurai Kembu Theater is getting popular for Non-Japanese tourists.
You could find out the reason why it is getting popular by hearing the name of this spot.
Ouga Magari who is the head of the Shyoga School of sword dance opened this theater to make experience of a sword dance popular for Non-Japanese tourists.
Participants change to Bushi clothes and experience martial arts training using Iai sword.
This spot are getting popular by word of mouth that people can learn how to use sword and also manner with English.
- ・Name：Samurai Kembu Theater
- ・Address：3-35-7 Neo Art Building B1F Higashiyama Kyoto-City, Kyoto, Japan
- ・Business hour：09:00am～9:00pm
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.samurai-kembu.jp/jn/
11. Kinkakuji TempleOne of the popular sightseen spot for Japanese people, Kinkakuji, is also very popular for Non-Japanese tourists because of the gorgeous gold exterior.
You can enjoy Kinkakuji in all seasons but it is best to see it with snow and with red leaves. Even though Japanese barely have chance to visit here, please come and stop by when you stay in Kyoto.
- ・Name：Rokuonji Temple (Kinkakuji Temple)
- ・Address：Kinkakujicho 1 Kitaku Kyoto-City, Kyoto, Japan
- ・Access：1min walk from Kinkakujimichi Bus Station
- ・Business hour：9:00～17:00
- ・Entrance fee：Adult/High school student: 400yen、Under high school: 300yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.shokoku-ji.jp/k_about.html
12. Nara ParkNara Park is very famous for Deer Park. Tourists surprise because deer in this park is really friendly. Property speaking, deer are very cautious but since people protect them with great care as sacred animal in Nara, they don’t afraid to come close to people.
Just be careful deer gather around you when you feed them Shika senbei!!
Also, they might eat paper you have.
- ・Name：Nara Park
- ・Address： Zoshicyo Nara-city, Nara, Japan
- ・Access：5min walk from Kintetsunara Station
- ・Official Web URL：http://nara-park.com/
13. Historic Village/ Shirakawagou Gassyozukuri Syu-rakuShirakawagou Gassyouzukuri Syu-raku, one of the historic villages has a landscape of its unique building and snow and its popular for tourists. The view is beautiful and feels like stray into the wonderland even for Japanese people.
There are about 100 houses, large and small, and people still using them as life places.
This is one of the areas with heavy snowfall in Japan, so you can see the thick snow on the roof in winter.
- ・Name： Shirakawagou Gassyouzukuri Syu-raku (Historic Village)
- ・Address：Ogimachi Onogun Sgirakawamura Gifu, Japan
- ・Access： 50 to 60 min from JR Takayama Station by bus
- ・Business hour：9:00am～5:00pm
- ・Official Web URL：http://shirakawa-go.org/kankou/
14. Jigokutani-Yaen ParkJigokutani-Yaen Park is a spot where you can see monkeys are taking an outdoor hot spring. Monkeys in here are known as “Snow Monkey” to people from all over the world, and people visit here to see them. In order to keep the good distance between people and monkeys, it is not allow to feed monkeys too much in this park. That way people could enjoy the elemental monkeys’ nature not like they attack or follow after people.
- ・Name：Jigokutani-Yaen Park
- ・Address： Hirao 6845 Shimotakaigun Yamanouchimachi, Nagano, Japan
- ・Access：26min walk from Kanbayashi Onsen (there is free shuttle from here to Jigokutani-Yaenkoen)
- ・Business hour：Summer（April ～ October) 8:30am～5:00pm, Winter (November～ March) 9:00am～4:00pm
- ・Entrance fee：Adult: 500yen Children: 250yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/
15. Kiyomizudera TempleKiyomizudera Temple, which is one of the Japan’s foremost sightseen spot, is also very popular to tourists from all over the world. Non-Japanese speakers could enjoy their sightseeing without any worries since there are lots of English written guide displays around here. It seems new to European and American because they are not used to see the big wooden building like Kiyomizudera Temple. Actually, it was built without using nail. We could say this temple is the fruit of technical skills and knowledge by ancient people. It is amazing temple strongly built without corruption in the long history.
- ・Name：Kiyomizudera Temple
- ・Address：Kiyomizu Higashiyama Kyoto-city, Kyoto, Japan
- ・Access：15min walk from Kiyomizudera Bus Station or Gojyouzaka Bus Station
- ・Business hour：6:00am～6:00pm
- ・Open Everyday
- ・Entrance fee: Adult: 400yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/
16. Shinjyuku Golden TownShinjyuku Golden Town is a restaurant area in Kabukicyo, Shinjyuku. There are more than 200 restaurants in the tiny area. There are a lot of unique restaurant like standing bar and Bungo bar. Shinjyuku Golden Town is popular for tourists from all over the world somehow.
Tourists like the atmosphere that is not like a tourists place and very friendly, and tourists could experience the feeling that they time traveled to old Japanese era.
- ・Name：Shinjyuku Golden Town
- ・Address：Kabukicyou 1 Shinjyuku, Tokyo, Japn
- ・Official Web URL：http://goldengai.jp/pg12.html
17. Hakone Cyoukoku no Mori MuseumThere are various kinds of work of art from modern to present days in this museum. This spot gets high satisfaction from tourists. One of the things it attracts tourists is people could relax and enjoy the art outside. This spot has a good reputation by word of mouth because there is also Ashiyu which you can soak your feet with hot spring.
If you have visit Hakone before but not Cyoukoku no Mori Museum, please visit here by taking this opportunity.
- ・Name：Hakone Cyoukoku no Mori Museum
- ・Address： 1121 Ninotaira Ashikagasimogun Hakonemachi, Kanagawa, Japan
- ・Access： 2min walk from Cyoukoku no Mori Station
- ・Business hour：9：00am～5：00pm
- ・Open Everyday
- ・Entrance fee： Adult: 1,600 yen
- ・Official Web URL：http://www.hakone-oam.or.jp/
Now, we know tourists go and visit various sightseeing spots when they come to Japan.
There are some spots that even Japanese haven’t discovered yet.
It feels like Non-Japanese tourists teach us great Japanese cultures and spots by knowing the popular spots for Non-Japanese tourists.